The Nova Star Quilt Pattern is available now!
After I made my two samples, the Ruby Star Society one and my Kona Cotton one, I knew I must make one to keep. I knew immediately I wanted to use the Color Explosion design option in FQs. I was craving the variety, the mix and match of prints and textures and wanted a picnic vibe. Luckily enough, I curated a bundle with Modern Domestic back in January for the Meadowland QAL and I had one on hand.
The bundle has a mix of quilting cottons, linens, and wovens - my favorites. Also a mix of fun prints, small scale repetitive fabrics and some linens that act like solids. Whenever I mix substrates within a single quilt, I make sure to use starch when pressing the fabric prior to cutting. It gives it an extra layer of "protection" or stiffness from shifting and distorting. It puts the fabrics on a more equal playing field.
I didn't realize when I was curating this bundle that I was picking a palette that will also perfectly match my living room. It is based on deep blues, grey neutrals, some corals and a pop of yellow here and there. Another reason to keep it!
My favorite part of any quilt is the mix and match of fabrics. When working with the FQ version, I make sure there is some variety in each block. Not all darks, not all lights but a mix of both. It adds that depth of feel and sparkle to the overall design.
This version in particular was really fun to watch grow. Each block is different and the power of each block is different. Some seem a bit more punchy, some seem softer. I love that.
Is there anything better than an adorable strawberry print?! I worked on this quilt over a couple of weeks. I would do 2-3 blocks every day for a bit and before I knew it, I had 20 blocks!
In the throw size, you need (30) 1 3/4" squares to make the cornerstones in the sashing. You will have enough fabric left from your FQs to cut what you need from multiple FQs and have a fun scrappy feel. OR you can use one fabric for the cornerstones. I decided to not make the quilt anymore "scrappy" and decided on some long hoarded Liberty of London floral.
Is is not just perfect?! And the best part, I still have so much of this print left but I get to enjoy bits of it in this quilt!
I finished this quilt top after I had already given Amy, my photographer, my other two samples to photograph. And when she was done taking those photos, she offered to drive the quilts back to my house. We all need a reason to "safely get out of the house" at times these days. But, instead of coming to my house, I told her, let's meet in a parking lot downtown and exchange them there. That way, I can grab a couple photos of this finished top with a tall human. We did it all safely, 6 feet apart, never touching or hugging ( I can't wait to hug my friends again). And instead of me taking the photos, Amy brought her camera and snapped these beauties for me!
I've been obsessed with this mural for over a year. I'm not even sure what these little creatures are but I love the color palette and have had it "bookmarked" in my mind for a future photoshoot. Well, this quilt ended up being the perfect quilt for this wall.
I immediately sent this quilt top off to Kaitlyn of Knot and Thread Designs for long arm quilting. I think it's going on the machine today and I can't wait to get it back!
Update: I got the Nova Star quilt back and here are some finished photos! I choose the Sashiko panto design and love it! Then I bound the quilt with a fun black and white stripe from Sarah Golden and the backing is this fun horse print from Darlings by Ruby Star Society.