In November I focused on sewing a lot of quilts just for fun. I've spent most of the year just running my business and sewing for specific projects. I definitely missed the joy of creating just for fun.
When we moved into our new house in April 2021, I only unpacked half of my fabric stash in my new studio. I didn't want to overwhelm myself too much in my new space. Well, I still haven't unpacked those boxes BUT I did grab these two Mammoth Flannel Junior FQ Bundles out of them.
These two bundles were sent to me awhile ago and I've been saving them for whenever inspiration struck! Each bundle includes 14 FQs and it comes in either the Warm or the Cool color way.
All I knew is that I wanted to make a scrappy Inside Out Star quilt using ONLY these FQs - no background fabric at all. I didn't plan anything out, I just dove right in.
I decided I wanted to use fabric from each FQ and so I started with 24 FQs (out of 28) and made pairs for the blocks. So 1 block required 2 FQs - one for the star and one for the background of the block. And I made sure to pair FQs together that had differences in saturation - one light and one dark.
Then, I just worked block by block. I alternated which FQ - the light or the dark - would be the star or the background of the block. I knew this would create a fun depth and sparkle to the final quilt.
I worked on this so quickly I never took a single individual block photo. Here is the one photo I took before sewing the quilt top together!
I used the extra fabric from each FQ plus the 4 FQs I set aside originally to cut the sashing pieces for the rows and the long sashing. I was somewhat intentional about trying not to attach sashing strips of the same fabric from a block right next to that block. Other than that, I did what felt right and went with it.
Once I had my short sashing pieces sewn and all my rows assembled, it was time to create the long sashing pieces from the fabric left over.
I went ahead and cut short strips and laid them out on the floor in between the rows. I did 5 different fabrics per long sashing and then sewed them end to end. Once I had all the long strips sewn, then I cut them to size to attach them.
I was also mindful here of attaching a sashing piece next to the same fabric in a block. It was pretty easy to move things around since there is such a variety of fabric options.
Redford wanted in on this full quilt shot as he was trying to find Luke.
The weight of this quilt is so much heavier being flannel than a quilting cotton. A night after I finished this, Luke suggested we go to this beautiful view point to watch sunset along the Columbia River. I said sure! I will bring my quilt top for photos! Well... I wasn't counting on the wind being so insane.
Well, the wind won this battle... I frayed about 1/4" of my quilt off. Woops! Don't worry, I went home and trimmed them off and re-secured all the edge seams before sending it off for quilting.
I took a handful of quilts to Karlee of SewInspired2Day here in Portland, OR. She squeezed me in fast and I super appreciate it! ALSO, I totally messed up the backing size for this quilt and she ended up sewing on some extra fabric for loading it on the machine for me so she could finish quilting it. Not all heros wear capes.
We went with Raindrops on Water pantograph that is a fun variegated swirl pattern throughout. I love how the texture turned out and makes it even softer somehow!
I used Add It Up in Earth by Ruby Star Society for the backing and a Carolina Gingham from Robert Kaufman for the binding.
We shot these photos in my studio and home and it is so fun to have better photos of where I work and create!
I really lucked out that the entire bottom floor of our house has picture rail trim in the rooms. I am able to hang some hooks and clips and attach quilts for photos as needed!
I was able to snap a few new work in my studio headshots. First time ever! So fun.
Now let's look at some more detailed shots. The variety of this quilt is so fun. I love using plaids in different sizes and scales so these flannel bundles are right up my alley.