** This post contains affiliate links and I may receive a small commission on purchase made from the links.
The second I saw the Alma fabric by Alexia Abegg for Ruby Star Society, I knew I needed to make something with it. I added some Add It Up prints to my pull and created a full palette of 20 fabrics to make a Flower Tile quilt. I thought it would be really fun to go bold and use the Black Add It Up print with metallics for the background.
I was so excited to see my first block come together! I love these little butterflies so much! Each new block I made, I felt like I had to photograph it because they are so striking.
Flower Tile blocks are some of the most satisfying to make. You get to see so much of your fabric unobstructed. Flower Tile is also a great pattern for chain piecing. I never use to understand the draw of sitting and being so repetitive but man! I love it now! Sometimes it's just nice to know you are making progress, there is comfort in chain piecing.
The blocks came together pretty quickly and then it was time to lay them out and see how they looked.
I still think my favorite photos to take every time in an entire quilt process is the crinkle photos when the top is finished. There is something so satisfying to see all of your hard work come together.
After this top was finished, Alysson and I went out to get some quilt top photos. This quilt is rather large at 64" x 80" and Alysson had to fight with some crazy East wind here. It was rather comical.
And instead of posting all the crazy wind photos, I took a screenshot of my phone to see how many I downloaded and edited of this shoot haha. Eventually the wind died down just a enough to get a solid photo.
I let this quilt top just sit for about 2 months until I finally decided to get it quilted. Sometimes the quilt tops just add up, right? I sent this off to Kaitlyn of Knot + Thread Designs and I thought the quilt top was bold and busy enough as is that I wanted to keep the quilting simple. Straight lines it was!
The straight lines are soooooo good. I love it so much! We picked a cream thread so it didn't stand out too much on either the black or the lighter fabrics.
Alysson and I went out this morning to take some finished quilt pictures and found the coolest building down by the water. It helped that Alysson could stand on a curb to give her a couple more inches!
I am so happy with how this quilt turned out. I used a burnt orange solid for the binding and I don't know the name. I am sorry! But Flower Tile is such a fun pattern and it's perfect to show off your favorite colors and prints. You can grab a PDF or a Printed pattern in my shop now.